Sigma Kappa, Zeta: History of the Chapter
Institution Date: February 24, 1906
GW Panhellenic Recognition of the Chapter: March 29, 1906
Charter Members: Grace Evelyn Barbour, Mary Brown Cole, Lulu Elizabeth Connor, May P. Crawford, Augusta Moulton De Forest, Olice West Greene, Katherine Harrington, Jennie Moyer, Ellen Bertha Person, Irene M. Pistorio, Louise Jane Smith, Ethna Gerhardina Wychgel.
The chapter had a difficult start due to the urban nature of GW, where many students had obscure class times, lived off campus or lacked any campus housing, and had trouble maintaining mutual communication with fraternities. However, the chapter remained cohesive and involved, and has been consistently well attached to the school’s administration and has been filled with members who bring academic, social, and professional merit to the sorority. “ The alumnae, many of whom reside in the city, have been a tower of strength, sharing joys, bearing burdens, and working always toward the future.”
The Zeta chapter was brought to GW’s campus at the turn of the twentieth century, creating a coalition for driven, passionate, and caring women in heart of our nation’s capital, instituted on campus on February 24, 1906. The GW Panhellenic Association formally recognized the formation of the chapter on March 29, 1906. Chartered by a class of twelve women, the chapter is now comprised of an extensive web of successful and supportive alumnae and current members, in DC and around the world. Although this urban environment has proved challenging in forming and maintaining the close-knit and involved community the chapter was chartered to be, the chapter has withstood the tests of a bustling and independent city campus to bring incredible women together for more than a century of sisterhood.